Year 5 Measurement Return to Primary Maths Resources
Length word problems
- If there are 60 brochures in a stack and each of them are 8 mm thick, how high is the stack?
- A plank of wood is 5 m long. If 150 cm is sawn off, how much is left?
- How many 20 mm pieces of gold wire can be cut from 1 m?
- If a fingernail grows 2 mm a week, how many cm would it grow in 1 year?
- One day I bought 3 sherbet sticks. Their lengths were 0.75 m, 50 cm and 75 cm. What was the total length? If sherbet sticks cost $2 a metre, how much did I spend?
Speed word problems
- If a snail travels 6 mm in 10 minutes, how far will it travel in 1 hour?
- If a car was travelling 60 km/h, how far would it have travelled after 10 minutes?
- Harriet walks at a speed of about 4 km/h. How long would it take for her to walk 20 km?
- If a truck was travelling 80 km/h, how long would it take for the truck to travel 560 km?
- Rahed is training for a 40 km marathon. He runs at an average speed of 6 minutes a km. What time can he expect to finish the marathon in?
- A bus seats 52 people. If 17 people get off a full bus how many remain on the bus?
- I have read 134 pages of a book containing 512 pages. How many more pages will I have to read to finish the book?
- In my money box I have £9.65. I earn £5.75 for doing jobs around the house. How much money do I now have?
- A container of milk has 3.65 litres. If another 4.84 litres is added, how much milk is in the container now?
- My brother was 48 cm long when he was born. He is now 1.27 m tall. How much has he grown since birth?
- A water butt contains 7.95 litres of water. In a heavy downpour, 28 ml of rain fell. How much water is there in the water butt now?
- For my birthday I received £47.50 from friends and relations. I spent £14.75 on a T-shirt and £11.85 on a CD. How much money do I have left?
- At the supermarket, the shopping bill comes to £37.63. If I pay with a £50 note how much change should I get?
- At birth Alice weighed 3.84 kg, Alan weighed 4.18 kg. How much lighter was Alice?
- A desk is 0.87 m long. A wall is 3.84 m long. How much wall is left free after two desks are placed against it?
- What is £9.42p subtract £6.78p?
- A piece of skirting board is 5.38 m long. If a length 2.63 m is cut from this how much is left?
- I have cycled 4.6 km of a 72.5 km cycle ride. How much further do I have to cycle?
- A tree is 15.85 m tall. The house it stands next to is 11.39 m high. How much taller is the tree than the house?
- At the supermarket my shopping bill came to £92.46. Of this £38.83 was for shopping I bought for my mother. How much did I spend on my shopping?
- Alex’s weight was 36.35 kg. One week he gained 1.47 kg, the next he lost 0.78 kg. What is his new weight?